WHY HYALURONIC ACID?
Yup, I went there. I picked a tricky one to start with. I did this because if there is one thing I want you to take away from all of this, it is the importance of ‘key’ ingredients and how to spot them (without Marketing flashing them at you in bold 😊
So, let us jump right in:
1) Hyaluronic acid (HA) can be found in many forms. Your body has its own hyaluronic acid that plumps your cells on a regular basis.
2) There are 2 major forms of Hyaluronic acid used in skincare products – Hyaluronic acid and Sodium Hyaluronate. Each has their own benefits.
- Hyaluronic acid is a polysaccharide that can attract up to 1,000 times its weight in water, even from the surrounding air. Hyaluronic acid does have a larger molecular weight though, so it tends to not penetrate the skin without a helper.
- Sodium Hyaluronate (MY FAVORITE) is a salt form of hyaluronic acid that has a lower molecular weight, so it easily penetrates into the deeper layers of the skin.
- They both act as water super magnets
- They plump the skin cells making them look full and younger. This also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
3) Like all good things, Hyaluronic acid does come with a catch: In order for the moisture to stay in the skin, it MUST be used with or followed using an occlusive. Now, this sounds difficult, but it is really simple. Always make sure that you use something with an oil, butter, wax, or other ‘coating’ agent that can act as kind of a ‘shield’ or blanket that will hold in the HA.
I would LOVE to hear your comments on this topic. I know I am being very general but I think you get the jist of it now.